MICHAEL GOLDBERG $1,000 SCHOLARSHIP
(two available annually)
The league has distributed the Michael Goldberg Scholarship Awards for over a quarter-century in memory of Chappaqua Soccer Club player Michael Goldberg, who was just 15 when he died of leukemia. His family started the scholarship to honor his fulfilling yet brief life.
- 2020: Nicole Bugilosi of the Cortland Vipers
- 2018: Kezia Lovell
- 2018: Olivia Racetta
- 2016: Attilio Crimi Varoli of the Highland Soccer Club
- 2016: Claire Thoma of East Fishkill
DAN HERBST $500 SCHOLARSHIP
(two available annually)
The league distributes the Dan Herbst Scholarship Awards in memory of Dan Herbst. a longtime soccer journalist and author. Dan was also past president of the Yorktown Soccer Club, and in his first term as EHYSL President when passed away at 48, also from leukemia.
- 2016: Laura Fajrado of the Monroe-Woodbury Soccer Club
- 2016: Brendan Smailer of the Kingston Area Soccer League
About EHYSL Scholarships
To be eligible to apply for these scholarships, all applicants must:
- Be a graduating High School Senior the year of the application.
- Have a minimum overall high school average of 80%.
- Be entering a full-time four-year College or University, in a program leading to a bachelor's degree, in the Fall following graduation.
- Have participated in the East Hudson Youth Soccer League for at least three (3) league years. Said participation need not have been in successive years but must include at least participating during the applicant's Junior and Senior year of High School.
Complete THIS APPLICATION and return to the League office no later than June 15 of the applicable year.
Please include a graduation picture.
East Hudson Youth Soccer League, Inc.
1906 Route 52, Suite C
Hopewell Junction, New York 12533
The applicant that, in the opinion of the Committee, receives the most points and in all other areas stands out among his or her peers, will be awarded these scholarships.
- Academic performance: Academic performance will be demonstrated by high school transcript, SAT scores, and recommendations.
- Athletic accomplishment and sportsmanship: Athletic performance and sportsmanship will be demonstrated by the recommendations of the applicant's high school and/or E.H.Y.S.L. soccer coach or Club President, honors such as "All Scholastic" or divisional high school selection, membership on the E.H.Y.S.L. or other select teams, and the absence of unusual disciplinary penalties. Leadership qualities such as being Team Captain will also be considered.
Contributions to the community are a consideration for the Michael Goldberg & Dan Herbst Scholarships and can be demonstrated via an attached resume.