East Hudson Youth Soccer Coronavirus Recommendations and Policy for Spring Season
East Hudson Families,
Due to the recent developments concerning the COVID-19 virus in our geographic area, the East Hudson Board of Directors has decided to postpone the start of our Spring season for a thirty (30) day period beginning March 15, 2020. We will reassess the impact of the Coronavirus on or about April 15, 2020. This includes all EHYSL matches as well as the East Hudson Academy program. It is our hope it will not need to be extended, but rest assured any decision we make will be in the best interest of our players, coaches, families, and referees.
In addition with the recent cases of the COVID-19 virus in New York State, we wish to communicate to all East Hudson member clubs, teams, players, coaches, game officials & families about best practices to protect everyone at all our league’s soccer events.
We encourage everyone to follow the recommended guidelines from the New York State Department of Health to protect themselves and those around them from any virus including respiratory viruses like COVID-19. To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, please follow these important tips:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as recommended by the CDC. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- All adults and children should stay home when sick. Speak with your children to teach them to cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. In the absence of a tissue, sneezing into your arm is the next best option.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
- New York Department of Health does not recommend the use of face masks for general prevention and says that hand washing provides better protection from infectious diseases.
In addition, below are some protocols to follow once we enter the Spring soccer season:
- Players or parents feeling ill should not attend East Hudson soccer matches or practices.
- No handshakes or high fives by players, coaches, and referees before, during, or after matches.
- Postgame sportsmanship should be done verbally in lieu of the handshake line as in the past.
- Drinks bottles should be labeled and NOT be shared.
- Referees only should sign the game card – there should be a verbal acknowledgement from coaches that the information is correct so that the referee may sign.
- If you bring food or drinks to games, please ensure that you discard of any items yourself.
- All players & teams are advised to carry & use hand sanitizer.
(From East Hudson Youth Soccer Board of Directors)